«ICT in Open Distance Learning: Issues and Challenges Dr. A. Murali M Rao, Indira Gandhi National Open University murli Formal Education ...»
• Lack of operational control Security of a system/service/data shall be ensured by protecting the sensitive resources at network, system and the application/service domains. Some of the security parameters are authentication, access control, availability, confidentiality, integrity and non-repudiation. Violation in any of the parameter leads a breach in security. All these security parameters to be enforced along with security policy on the ICT infrastructure being used in open distance learning. The following are some of the policies to be framed and implemented for smooth functioning of ICT
infrastructure in open distance learning system:
• Network security policy
• Host/ Server security policy
• Application software security
• Database security
• Content management policy
• Web server logging policy
• Backup a policy
• Password management policy
• Encryption policy
• Audit, Incident handling and Recovery policy
• Physical security policy
It is true that ICT is playing a vital role in open distance learning but at same time there are many issues and challenges that are to be addressed for smooth functioning of various online services that are to be implemented for its learners and other public. In this paper, the required ICT infrastructure and various issues and challenges in usage and setting up of ICT infrastructure in open distance learning are addressed. The institution that is providing education in ODL mode should look at all the addressed issues and challenges and take necessary precautions with a proper action plan along with timeframe.
 A. Murali M Rao, 2009, ‘ Web-enabled User Support Services System in Distance Learning’, Proceedings of International Conference on Interaction Sciences: Information Technology, Culture and Human(ICIS 2009), The ACM International Conference Proceeding, Vol I, ISBN 978-1-60558-710-3,Seoul, Korea, pp 86-90.
 A. Murali M Rao, 2010, ‘Digital Library Security: A Layered Approach’, Proceedings of International Conference on Digital Libraries(ICDL 2010), Volume 2, New Delhi, pp 1167-1171.
 Bernadette Robinson, 2008, ‘Using distance education and ICT to improve access, equity and the quality in rural teachers’ professional development in western China’, International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, Volume 9, Number 1, Chaina.
 Sangay Jamtsho, 2005, ‘Challenges of ICT use for distance learning support in Bhutan, ICDE International conference’, New Delhi.