«LONDON PRINTED BY AUTHORITY OF THE MINISTRY, OVERSEAS MILITARY FORCES OF CANADA. REPORT of the MINISTRY Overseas Military Forces of Canada LONDON ...»
In view of the large volume of printing which had to be placed with private firms, the delay in securing deliveries and the heavy and everincreasing cost of this work, a recommendation was made by the officer in charge of the Stationery and Typewriter Services, to instal a printing plant. A small Printing Press, which was formerly used by the Catering Department for the printing of Diet Sheets only, was therefore handed over to the Stationery and Typewriter Services. The machine so acquired could print forms up to a size of 11-1 in. by 17 in.
In August, 1918, in order to undertake the printing of Headquarters' Canadian Routine Orders and to cope with all other printing required by the Canadian Overseas Military Forces, a double demy Printing Press and Power Paper Cutting Machine were installed at a cost of £420. This expenditure was amply justified as the saving on the printing of Headquarters Canadian Routine Orders alone amounted to over £2,600 a year.
Quartermaster-General's Branch. 91 The following statement shows the present printing press, together
with the number of forms printed and staff employed:
Plant. Forms. Staff.
Prior to the installation of a printing plant in London, and as a result of the large quantities of stationery, etc., drawn from the Imperial Authorities, an arrangement was arrived at with the War Office in 1915 for this business to be dealt with on a per capita basis of Is. 6d. per man per quarter. Owing, however, to the subsequent higher cost of material and production, the amount had to be increased to Is. 9d. in 1916, and 2s.
in 1917. In 1918 the War Office submitted a claim based on the foregoing scales, the claim covering the period from October, 1914, to March, 1917, and amounting to $269,980.00. It was then pointed out to the War Office that a number of Imperial Army Books and Forms were not suited to Canadian uses, and as the War Office figures were based on a supply of all forms, application was made for a rebate of 50 per cent.
This was eventually agreed to, and the War Office claim was finally passed for $134,999.00. Following this, arrangements were made whereby, commencing January, 1918, monthly accounts should be rendered for supplies so obtained.
The saving effected by the installation of this printing plant is very apparent.
During 1917 disbursements to Contractors for printing, etc., amounted to £18,322 8s. 7d., whereas, during 1918 only necessary items such as rubber stamps, cheques, pay books, stereos, etc., were obtained on the open market, at the cost of £6,158 19s. 2d.—a difference of £ 12,163 9s. 5d. in one year— notwithstanding the fact that the quantity of printing required 92 Overseas Military Forces of Canada.
during 1918 was 50 per cent. over that supplied during 1917, and that printing prices had increased 125 per cent. on the open market over prewar prices.
In view, too, of the shortage of paper the strictest economy has. been necessary and stocks held by Units and Stationery SubDepots were reviewed and surpluses withdrawn. As a result, approximately 30 tons of stationery were returned to the Imperial Authorities and credit obtained therefor. " Dead " correspondence files and obsolete forms were cut to correct dimensions and used for carbon copy work, small forms, etc.
Inter-t departmental forms were reviewed and standardised to meet all requirements and others eliminated, and "cut-offs" from printing work utilised for scribbling pads, etc. Apart from relieving the stationery situation, it is estimated that these measures effected a saving during the year, 1918, of over £2,000.
The care of and accounting for typewriters form no small part of the work of this Department. There is a staff of skilled typewriter mechanics in London and in each Area, and machines on charge to Units and Departments are inspected monthly. Any necessary small repairs and adjustments are also carried out and machines are withdrawn for thorough overhaul when necessary. In this way the life of the machine is preserved and the maximum efficiency obtained.
On the transfer of the administration of the Printing, Stationery and Typewriter Services to the Quartermaster-General, the whole typewriter situation was carefully gone into, with the result that a large number of machines not in full use by Units and Departments were withdrawn and a general re-distribution made. By this means the following reductions were made possible :—87 Underwoods, on hire at a rental of 12s. 6d. per month,were returned to their owners ; 160 typewriters, issued on repayment by the War Office in 1915 and 1916, were remodelled and returned in such good running order that they were taken back without any charge being made for the time they had been in use by the Canadians; and 150 surplus typewriters and 48 duplicators were disposed of on the open market at prices considerably above the original cost to the Canadian public.
At the present moment there are 1,161 typewriters and 173 duplicators on charge in England, and 237 typewriters and 39 duplicators have been issued to Canadian Units in France.
The total personnel of the Printing, Stationery, and Typewriter Services at the end of 1918 was 2 officers and 40 other ranks.
Quartermaster-General's Branch. 93
On the introduction of the varied ration into Canadian Camps in England, a Canadian Salvage Company was inaugurated for the purpose of handling by-products. It was administered at that time by the Inspector of Army Catering.
Later it became an independent Unit, under the Director of Supplies and Transport, and its scope was extended over the collection, conservation and disposal of all by-products attendant on the Supply and Transport Services.
Finally, owing to economies effected by the successful work of the Salvage Company, its operations were further extended to all Branches of the Quartermaster-General's services, and the administration accordingly transferred to the Quartermaster-General. It then became known as the Salvage Department, Q.M.G., and a Salvage Section was established in each Canadian Area and a Salvage Officer appointed on each Area Headquarters.
The personnel employed consisted of fatigue parties drawn daily from the various Regimental Depots, together with a small permanent fatigue party composed of men with the necessary training to supervise the sorting and grading of the various articles salvaged.
Inasmuch as London offered the best market for the sale of scrap material, a Central Salvage Yard was opened at once in order that articles from the Areas which could not be disposed of advantageously locally could be centralised and disposed of in bulk to the contractors. This Yard is also used for the display of samples and the technical training of salvage personnel.
On September 1, 1918, the Canadian Salvage Department was merged into the Canadian Salvage Corps, with Headquarters in London and a definite establishment in each Canadian Area. This course was necessary in order that the personnel could be permanently employed and initiated fully into their duties. Apart, too, from greatly increasing the efficiency of salvage operations, it allowed of a decrease in the personnel employed. Under the old organisation, in the six Canadian Areas which were then in operation, the average number employed was five officers and 140 other ranks, whereas with the permanent organisation, the same work is carried out in eight Areas with only six officers and 53 other ranks.
Among the various salvaged commodities, for. the supervision, collection, conservation, and disposal of storage of which the Canadian Salvage Corps is responsible, can be enumerated 94 Overseas Military Forces of Canada.
the following:—Fish Barrels and Boxes, Rags, Bandages, Boxes of various descriptions, Bottles, Meat Wrappers, Jars, Tailors' Clippings, Crocks, Horseshoes, Lumber, Lead, Manure, Cupro-Nickel, Paper, Brass, Bakery-Sweepings, Horsehair, Horse Hides, Rubber, Rabbit Skins, Straw, Tea Chests, Hoof Parings, Bones, Corks, Dripping, Cracklings, Rope, Trap Grease, Tin, Ashes, Wax, Sacking, Mechanical Transport Equipment, Swill, etc.
These waste materials are centralised in a Salvage Dump in each Area and carefully sorted and graded in order that the best possible prices may be obtained. A close supervision is kept on Units to prevent any misappropriation of Government equipment and the leaving of surplus equipment in the lines exposed to weather conditions. This results in appreciable saving by the conservation of Army Stores, and the cleanliness of the Camps is thereby enhanced.
In the sorting of the various commodities, the requirements of each Branch of the Service are considered, in order that only such articles should be discarded as Salvage as can be put to no further military use.
During the period January 1 to October 31, 1918, the total proceeds of sales of waste materials amounted to $190,510.12 (an average of $19,051.00 per month).
CANADIAN ENGINEERING SERVICES.
The Canadian Engineering Services in England are distinct from the Canadian Engineering Training Depot, the latter being employed exclusively for the training of engineer reinforcements for France.
The Canadian Engineer Services have no authorised establishment, with the exception of the London Headquarters and permanent staffs in hospitals, all working squads being furnished by Units as required, the majority being borrowed from the Engineer Training Depot.
Their duties made them responsible for the provision and maintenance of accommodation required by the Canadian troops in England, and is the business of the Officer in Charge of this Department to see that Canadian interests are protected, that buildings are properly maintained and that all regulations concerning the same are complied with.
Accommodation for the Canadian Forces in England is primarily the responsibility of the Imperial Government, but in the early stages of the War certain buildings were so urgently Quartermaster-General's Branch. 95 required by the Canadian Authorities that it was necessary to take them over without the delay which must have occurred pending a formal agreement with the British War Office. In 1915, for instance, it had become necessary to take over several hospitals at the expense of the Canadian Government. The actual rental charge of these hospitals to the Canadian funds was, approximately, £7,570 per annum, with rates and taxes amounting to £2,500. The alterations and installations carried out by the Engineer Services amounted to, approximately, £7,000.
By the end of 1918 the claim of the Canadian Government against the Imperial Authorities for accommodation and installations in London amounted to £63,768 2s. 9d. The Canadian Overseas Ministry had for some time been pressing for an adjustment and finally, after several conferences, the Imperial Government agreed to accept full financial responsibility for all premises in England occupied by the Canadian Troops and Services, and further, to make a refund on a basis which, in view of all the circumstances, was regarded as both equitable and satisfactory.
Since October 1, 1918, the Imperial Authorities have acknowledged the principle that all accommodation for Canadians in the British Isles should be the sole charge of the Imperial Government, and have accepted the responsibility for same.
Altogether the work of the Canadian Engineer Services has been the means of a large saving of expenditure to Canadian funds, and, by careful inspection and necessary repairs to the buildings occupied, will prevent large damage claims being preferred against the Canadian Government on the evacuation of such premises.
QUARTERMASTER - GENERAL'S BOARD OF OFFICERS
The original Board of Officers on Quartermasters' Stores (comprising six officers) was organised on January 27, 1917, and dealt mainly with the affairs of Units arriving from Canada which were depleted and absorbed on this side.
On September 23, 1917, the old Board was disbanded and the present one, consisting of two officers (additional members being detailed as required), was established.
This Board deals with deficiencies disclosed by the periodical and final inspections carried out by the Quartermaster-General's 96 Overseas Military Forces of Canada.
Inspection Department on Quartermasters' and Barrack Stores in all Areas and hospitals in England. All available evidence is taken from all concerned in connection with such shortages, which is given careful consideration by the Board, and recommendations as to adjustment submitted to the Quartermaster-General for concurrence and final action.
This manner of dealing with deficiencies in Quartermasters' Stores has many advantages, such as :—
1. The holding of Brigade and Divisional Boards is rendered unnecessary, and much time and money thereby saved to the Government.
2. All Units are dealt with on the same basis.
3. Prompt adjustment can be made so that clearances may be granted Commanding Officers required for other duties.
4. Commanding Officers, as well as the public, are given every protection, as they have an opportunity of furnishing explanations concerning deficiencies.
5. Inefficiency in conduct of Quartermasters' Departments is brought to light and remedial action taken.
6. In instances of changes of command (or Quarter masters) any necessary charges for deficiencies against the retiring Commanding Officer can be promptly made and the incoming Commanding Officer starts with a clean sheet.
It was agreed, as a matter of general policy between the Imperial Government and the Governments of the various Dominions, that War Trophies captured by the troops of the different Dominions should ultimately become the property of their respective Governments. The Imperial War Trophy Committee was appointed to deal with all matters concerning trophies captured from the enemy, and on July 11, 1917, Sir George Perley arranged for Colonel K. C. Folger, D.S.O., to be the representative of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada on this body.
Colonel Folger has continued to look after the interests of Canada until the present time.