«Dr. G. Baskaran, M.A, M.Phil, PhD. Associate Professor of English Gandhigram Rural Institute [Deemed University] Gandhigram – 624 302 India Phone: ...»
Dr. G. Baskaran, M.A, M.Phil, PhD.
Associate Professor of English
Gandhigram Rural Institute [Deemed University]
Gandhigram – 624 302 India
Phone: (O) 0451-2452371 to 76 Extension No: 2151
Fax: 0451 - 2454466
Father’s Name : R.Gavarappan
Date of Birth : 05.07.1961
Age : 54 years
Sex : Male Nationality : Indian Religion : Hindu J-7, Shanthi Sadan Apartments
Kochadai Main Road Madurai – 625 016 INDIA Education Ph.D., 1995, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai M.Phil. (English), 1987, St. Joseph’s College, [Affiliated to Bharathidasan University], Trichy.
M.A. (English), 1985, VHNSN College, [Affiliated to M K University], Virudhunagar.
Teaching Experience Designation University/Institution From Date To Date No of Years Lecturer VHNSN College, 08.01.1988 09.01.1995 7 Virudhunagar Lecturer (SS) VHNSN College, 10.01.1995 26.07.1998 3yrs/6months/ Virudhunagar 16days Reader/Associate VHNSN College, 27.07.1998 23.02.1012 Professor Virudhunagar 14yrs/5Months/ 4Days Associate Gandhigram Rural 24.02.2012 Till date 2year/6Months/ Professor Institute-Deemed 3Days University Titles of Dissertation M.Phil. :“The Predicament of Individuals in Anita Desai’s Cry, the Peacock, Voices in the City and Where Shall We Go This Summer?
Ph.D. :“Indo-Anglian-Anglo-Indian Fiction: A Study of Motives and Methods”.
Academic Council Member:
Madurai Kamaraj University Nominee, Kodaikanal Christian College, Kodaikanal. 2009 – 2011 Areas of Specialization Indian Writing in English Comparative Literature Postcolonial Literature Communicative English American Literature English Language Teaching Commonwealth Literature Approved Guide Ph. D Program - Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram Ph. D Part time – Extension Program, Bharathiar Universtiy Ph.D Part time – Christ University, Bangaluru Ph.D. Program - Madurai Kamaraj University Courses Attended
1. Orientation Course, Bharathidasan University, Trichy, 1988
2. Refresher Course, Pondicherry Central University, Pondicherry Theme: New Literatures,
3. Course on American Civilization, ASRC, Hyderabad, Theme: American Liteature, History and Political Science, 1996
4. Refresher Course, Pondicherry Central University, Pondicherry Theme: Commonwealth Literature and Theory, 1999 Project
1. UGC sponsored Minor Research Project on “Gender Relations in Mahesh Dattani’s Plays” 2007-09
2. UGC sponsored Major Research Project on “Diaspora Discourses: Displacement, Displacement, Migration, and Cultural Exchange in the Post Rushdie Indian Fiction in English” 2011-13. Completed.
1. UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Polemics of Post-colonial Studies”Cocoordinator, March 2007.
2. UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar:
University Grants Commission has sanctioned a sum of Rs. 60,000 for the conduct of a Two Day national Level Seminar on “Vision and Performance: Commonwealth Plays in English”. Order no: SEM-1709/11
3. UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Indian English Fiction of the New Millennium” organished by the Faculty of English & Foreign Languages, Gandhigram Rural Institute – Deemed University on 11th & 12th February 2013.
1) One Day Workshop on “Effective Thesis Writing in English” 5th October 2007 Conduct of the Workshop bu Prof. F. A. Rahim, Annamalai University, Chidambaram and Dr.S.P.Dhanavel, Anna University, Chennai.
2) One Day Workshop on “Academic Writing for Researchers” 14th December 2009.
Conduct of Workshop by Prof. N. Ram from Erithiria and Dr. S. P. Dhanavel, Anna University,Chennai.
3) One Day International Conference on “Research Methods in English Literature and Language” 15th March 2010. Conduct of Workshop by Prof. Ravi Sheroy of Oklohoma State University, Stillwater, USA
4) One Day International Workshop on “Soft Skills for Indian College Teachers,Professionals and Business Executives” 14th October 2010. Conduct of Workshop by Prof. M.S.Tirumalai, Dean of Academic Affairs, Bethany College of Missions, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Village Placement Programme Organized 7 Day Village Placement Programme for I & II M A (E & CS) students at Tirumalaikeni from 7th December to 13th December 2013.
TEFL Webinar Course
1. Attended TEFL WEBINAR COURSE “Shaping the Way We Teach English”, organished by Office of English Language Programs, Bureau of educational & Cultural Affairs, U S Department of State, U S Embassy, New Delhi. 13 July – 7 September 2011.
2. Attended TEFL WEBINAR COURSE “Shaping the Way We Teach English”, organished by Office of English Language Programs, Bureau of educational & Cultural Affairs, U S Department of State, U S Embassy, New Delhi. 5th October -30th November 2011.
1. Additional Superintendent nominated by Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai at PSR College of Education, Sivakasi June 2008.
2. Co-ordinator, English Language Lab, VHNSN College, Virudhunagar. 2005 – 2012
3. Observer at St. Xavier’s College of Education, Palayamkottai 23&24th September 2010.
4. Officer on Special Duty, Publication Unit, The Gandhigram Rural Institute – Deemed University, Gandhigram – 624 302. August 2012 Responsibilities at GRI-DU
1. Member Secretary, Gramsruthi : Students’ Magazine since 2013Member, SPACE Committee, since 2014Convenor, Unassigned Grant for Publication of Books, since 2013
4. Convenor, Calendar Committee since 2013
5. Member, GRI-DU Newsletter since 2013Member, IQAC News since 2013Extension Activities
1. Students’ Service Organisation, M.K.University, Madurai, Nov. 1989
2. FIP Inservice Training/English Languages, Directorate of Collegiate Education, Tamilnadu, Jan. 1991
3. Short Orientation Programme on “Communicative English”, M.K.University, Madurai, 06.08.1998 and 07.08.1998
4. One Day Orientation Programme for Research Guides in Colleges, Yadava College, Madurai, 06.10.2003 5. “Spoken English for Children”. 30 Day Program organished by The Language Lab, VHN Senthikumara Nadar College, Summer 2008.
6. “English for Beginners” 45 Days Program organished by The Language Lab, VHN Senthikumara Nadar College, March 2010.
7. “Communicative English for Teacher Education Students”. 45 Day Program Conduct at M S P College of Education, Virudhunagar. September – October 2010.
8. Doctoral Committee Meeting at Mother Teresa Women’s University, Kodaikanal;
Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli; Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
Seminars, Workshops and Conferences Attended
1. Seminar on “Indo-Anglian Fiction”, ICC, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, March 1988.
2. Seminar on “The Concept of Family in Indo-Anglian Poetry”, M.K.University, UGC – ICSR, March 1990.
3. Seminar on “Indian Fiction in English”, AIACHE, The American College, Madurai, 1992.
4. Workshop on “Canadian Studies”, Bharathidasan University, Trichy, 1994.
5. Regional Seminar on “Canadian Studies”, IACS & University of Calicut, Thalaicherry, March 1994.
6. National Seminar on “Canadian Studies”, IACS & University of Calicut, Thalaicherry, March 1995.
7. National Seminar on “Social Justice and Indian Christian Literature”, University of Madras, November 1995.
8. Seminar and Orientation in “New Literatures”, M.S. University, Tirunelveli, 1995.
9. National Seminar on “Indian English Women Writers”, Gulburga University, Gulburga.
10. Workshop on “Post-Modern Criticism”, Lady Doak College, Madurai, November 1997.
11. Seminar on “Indian Writing in English” Union Christian College, Alwaye, Feb-Mar.
12. National Seminar on “First Nation Peoples: Canada & India”, University of Calicut, Calicut, Jan. 1998.
13. Five Day Seminar on “New Literature”, M.S. University, Tirunelveli, March 1998.
14. Seminar on “Makers of Indian English” Dhuvanyaloka, Mysore, June 1998.
15. National Seminar on “English Novelists on India” ICASEL, Mysore, 8-10 February 1999.
16. Indian Association for Canadian Studies and UGC sponsored workshop / Seminar, Annamalainagar, March 2000.
17. Indian Association of American Studies, XXXIII Session, June 2000.
18. Seminar on “The West in the Indian Imagination 1857-1947” sponsored by Sahitya Akademi, IACLALS, American College, SCILET, on 10-12 Sep 2001.
19. One Day Seminar on “Promotion of Research and Quality Improvement in Colleges”, organized by IQAC, Arul Anandar College, Madurai, 9 Oct 2004.
20. Two Day Seminar on Ethnicity-Multi-Cultural Problems Sponsored by IACS, National College, Trichy, March 19, 20, 2005.
21. Three Day National Workshop on “Translation: Theory and Practice” hosted by The MS University of Baroda, Vadadora, March 3, 4, 5, 2005.
22. UGC Sponsored National Level Seminar on “Human Rights: Challenges and Responsibilities” Organised by IQAC, VHNSN College, Virudhunagar on 29th and 30th September, 2011.
23. Workshop on Re-Interpreting Gandhi for the Modern Times, organished by Department of Gandhian Thought and Peace Science, Gandhigram Rural Institute-Deemed University, Dindigal 0n 22 nd March 2014.
24. UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “American Literature Movements and Representations” organized by Department of English, Annamalai University, Chidambaram on 28 and 29 March 2014.
1. All India English Teacher’s Conference, Andhra University, Vishakapattinam, December 1989.
2. All India English Teacher’s Conference, University of Madras, Madras, December 1990.
3. All India English Teacher’s Conference, Sri Krihnadevaraya University, Ananthapur, December 1992.
4. UGC Sponsored National Conference / Symposium on Indo – Anglian Literature and the Indian Ethos Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Feb. 2-4, 2000.
1. Indian Association of Canadian Studies, at Jadavpur University, Calcutta, April 2000.
2. Indian Association of Canadian Studies Sponsored, at University of Calicut, January 2001.
4. Indian Association of Canadian Studies sponsored Conference, Univ. of Madras, Dec-Jan 2006.
5. International Conference on Canadian Literature: Dialogue across Cultures, at Holy Cross College, Trichirappalli – 620 002. 31st Jan & 1st Feb 2006.
1. Symposium on English Language Teaching, Applied Linguistic Forum, Madurai, 1988.
Membership of Professional Societies
1. Life Member, American Studies Research Centre.
2. Life Member, Indian Association of Canadian Studies.
3. Member, All Indian English Teacher’s Association.
4. Indian Association of American Studies.
5. English Language Teacher’s Association of India.
6. Life Member, Society for Educational Technology, Research & Development.
7. Life Member, South Indian American Studies Network.
Selection Committee Member/ Subject Expert
1. P.M.Devar College, Usilampatti.
2. Srilakhsmipuram College, Neyyoor, Nagarkoil
3. Kamaraj College of Engineering and Technology, Virudhunagar
4. VVV College for Women, Virudhunagar
5. SRNM College, Sattur
6. Mepco Schlink Engineering College, Sivakasi.
7. Sathakathulla Appa College, Palayamkottai
8. A A A College of Engineering & Technology, Sivakasi.
9. Pachaiappa’s Trust, Kanchipuram & Chennai. (University of Mardas & Thiruvalluvar University Nominee)
10. Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai - Subject Expert – Staff Selection. June 2014.
Member, Academic Audit
1. School of English and Comparative Literature, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai. 4th June 2014
Researcher at Residence:
1.Yadava College, Tirupalai, Madurai on 9th & 10th August 2010 as Researcher at Residence for the Faculty of English.
Expert Committee Member
1. Subject Expert as Nominated by Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli to scrutinize facilities/infrastructure at Wavoo Wasnee Women’s College of Arts and Science at Kayalpattnam, 1st April 2009 Papers Presented 1. “The Anatomy of a Mahatma: Portrayal of Gandhiji in K.A. Abbas’ Barrister – at –Law” presented at 40th All Indian English Teachers’ Conference, Ananthapur, December 1992.
2. “Daughter, Father and Society: The Predicament of the Protagonists of Margaret Atwood and Anita Desai” presented at Calicut University Centre, Tellicherry, March 1995.
3. “The Passive Woman as a Disquieted Protestor: A Study of Dina Metha’s Brides Are not for Burning” presented at Chair on Tamil Christian Literature, University of Madras, November 1995.
4. Bureaucrat’s Quest”: A Study of Gita Mehta’s A River Sutra”, presented at the National Seminar on Indian English Women Writers, Gulberga University, January 1996.
5. “Gore Vidal’s Perception of the East in Kalki”, presented at The Course on American Civilization and Culture, ASRC, Hyderabad, 1996.
6. “Manjeri S.Isvaran As a Maker of Indian English”, presented at Conference on Makers of Indian English, Dhuvanyaloka, Mysore, June 1998.
7. “Self, Marriage and Family: A Study of Alice Munro’s ‘Open Secrets’ and Shashi Deshpande’s Intrusion and Other Stories” presented at the National Seminar on First Nation Peoples, Canada and India, Calicut, January, 1998.
8. “Women as Inevitable Sufferers in Kavery Nambisan’s The Scent of Pepper” at the Five Day Seminar on New Literatures”, M.S. University Triunelveli, March 1998.
9. “Defamiliarizing the Tiger Tipu: Philip Meadows Taylor’s Tippoo Sultan, presented at ICASEL, Mysore, 8-10 February 1999.
10. “The Artist as Historian: A Study of E.J. Pratt’s Poem”, UGC Sponsored Seminar on “Canadian Literature”, Annamalai University, Dept. of English, Chidambaram, March 21-23, 2000.